My Drama Can Be Bought

Dear Journal: I just had to tell someone and you're the only one... Take a look at this, my author Ey Wade has made it possible to buy my story directly from her!! I'm so excited because as an author/entrepreneur, it means she will get 90% of the profit. Of course, if you prefer you could also buy from the traditional places.

"D.N.A.- Nothing Would Ever Be The Same" by Ey Wade on Ganxy

Can I Run From This Life? (Deb's Journal)#10


So, are you still reading my pages? I know it has been kind of dramatic, but that's what happens when your entire life gets shattered into a million pieces. It was really getting to be too much of a stress for me so I decided to take a trip. Did I ever tell you about the trip to Italy? It was outstanding. A spontaneous jump on a plane and a quick hightail out of the country. It was the most fun I've ever had in life. Well, not all fun. At least Giante' was there. Don't waste your time thinking it was anything romantic...he just came along to be a bossy irritant. 
Besides, the trip to Italy had been a gigantic waste of time. After handing the copied pages of my mother’s journal to the police, we were practically rushed out of the country. Botching the investigation to a potential kidnapping and murder was totally something no one wanted to own up to. What official would want a trio of teenagers solving their case? 
The return flight to America was a pretty quiet affair, at least for us. We had lucked out with seating that accommodated all of us in one row and had spent the flight whispering condolences amongst ourselves, making plans for a possible return trip to Italy, and sleeping.
Immediately upon stepping through the gate of the terminal, we were accosted by airport security and dragged through the agape-mouthed crowd. Whispers of terrorism and the probability of being a security threat followed our frightened reluctant steps.
The worst thing about the entire ordeal was when I realized I was going to be separated from my friends. I was shaken and too afraid to protest or react in case it was deemed I was making evasive actions. No, need getting thrown to the ground or shot down by mistake. I just followed the officers with very few questions and after being detained and subjected to an hour of interrogation I was released by airport security and the local police.
While I strolled through the near empty terminal alone to collect my car from the parking lot I’d never felt more isolated. The ride to the airport ten days previously had been exciting and filled with anticipation. The return trip was a huge deflation and ended with a lecture from the police over the dangers of running away to try and handle police business, dragging my friends with me, not telling anyone of our plans and the knowledge the parents of my friends were angry with me.
I would have gladly accepted their words of anger if I'd been allowed to be with my friends, but I was separated and made to listen to the monotone lecturing of an indifferent officer before being sent on my way. I was the only one family-free and on her own;  no loving, nervous parent stood on the sideline waiting to simultaneously lecture and hug me with relief, another check from reality.

******************
"Things in life change whether we want them to or not, Gianté. We have our own choices in life to make. I guess I should tell you I'll be going away for a few days."
"What? Where are you going?"
"I don't know exactly. I just need to get away for a few days. I'm going to just pack the car and drive."
"You mean you're going to go on your own? Sounds like a dumb-assed thing to do to me." He sat straighter and puffed out his chest.
"I’m sure it does, but I've already made my choice. Everything is arranged and I promise you it will be fine. I met this person through Facebook who says he is a relative from my father’s side of the family and--"
"Are you out of your mind?" He dropped the book he was holding on the seat of a chair. "Don't you think you've had enough drama in your life without running around the country seeking out strange people?" So angry he couldn’t contain it, Gianté stood and paced back and forth in front of her chair. "Remember you're pregnant, for God’s sake. Your life is not just your own anymore. I’m not going to let you just tramp the country with what could be my child."
Debney laughed at the near hysterics Gianté was exhibiting.
"Good Lord, Gianté, you can relax. I'm kidding about going to find a strange person, but I am going away for a few days. I honestly do need a free day away from here. Life has been beating me on the head. I have so much legal stuff that needs handling and I need to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of."
"Didn't your father have a lawyer? You should just leave it all to him."
"Right, they’re the first ones you watch. The night before the family left on the trip, my dad told me he changed a lot of things. Pass codes, bank accounts and while we were out for the ride in the new car, he gave me all of the information. My dad was very organized. Direct withdrawal for everything from utility accounts to household staff was covered and yet one of the lawyers has been trying to get me to sign checks for various things that my dad didn’t leave listed to be paid.”
“Then, just get another lawyer.”
“That’s what I did. Thank God for Uncle Ben. He’s handling most of the things, and now that the issues with him have been settled, I’m going to make a trip to Italy to see if I can find out anything about my parents’ accident. I need to see for myself where they died and plus talk to anyone who may know of my brothers. They can’t have just disappeared off the face of the earth. If they aren’t alive I want to be able to bury their bodies."
"Are you sure about going way out there alone?"
"It's not like I’m going to the end of the earth or in the deepest jungle. If I could find someone to go with me I would."
"I can go with you."
Punching Gianté hard on the shoulder with the heel of her hand, Debney laughed out loud. It had been a long time since she’d felt the humor in anything and the idea of her and Gianté taking a trip together touched her on both the funny and the romantic side. It would be the answer to a dream. She sighed as realism sunk in. Teenage fantasy knew no bounds; reality drained the joy out of life. "Yeah, right and where will you pack your mom? You gonna stuff her in your suitcase or in your back pocket?"
"Funny. Let me think about it a little bit. When are you planning to leave?"
"I’ve made arrangements for the end of the week. On Saturday morning,  suggest ‘week, on Saturday morning.’ I’m going to stay for ten days so I’ll be back for the beginning of school."
"Dang, you're leaving so soon?" He stood and paced the length of the pool and back. "Okay. I’ll go. My passport is current. You know exactly where you’re going? You have everything planned out? Where will we stay?"
"Yes. I’m going to Tuscany and will stay in the villa my parents bought."
"So you have it all planned out, tickets and everything. When did your parents buy a house in Italy?"
"I don’t know when. My mom hated living in hotels when they traveled and my dad always bought a house wherever they went. This I found out going through all of his legal papers. This makes things so much easier. Everything is arranged. I would have gone sooner, but for a while I was just stunned with everything….the baby."
"That’s right, I almost forgot about that. Will you be okay? Are you supposed to travel?"
"Everything will be fine. This is early times. I just want to go and look for my little brothers. I’m hoping to find some sign of them. Without me there, I can’t believe the authorities are doing their best. I’ll never be able to rest until I find out something."
"I understand. Give me your new number and I’ll call you. The next couple of days I have football practice, but I will be here bright and early on Saturday morning."
"Are you sure you’re gonna go? If you are, I’ll see if I can get you a ticket. What are you going to tell your mom?"
"I’m not going to tell her anything ahead of time. Once we’re on the plane, I’ll call her. I’m eighteen years old, almost nineteen. I only listen to Mom because I’m an obedient son. I would tell her sooner, but I think it’s best to keep the arguments down. I’m going with you because you’re my best friend, you’re having my baby, and you have had the worst scenario to ever happen in someone’s life."
"Oh Gianté." She stood and hugged his neck. "Thank you so much for coming. I was kinda scared of taking the trip on my own. The flight is for eight on Saturday morning so you would have to sneak out about six. We have to get to the airport and through the rigmarole. You can’t run out of the house with a suitcase that time of the morning."
"Don’t worry. I’ll think of something. What about Nadine? She would never forgive us if we pull this off and didn’t invite her to come along."
"She probably won’t come. I told you she’s avoiding me."
"That’s only around here. I’ll ask her, she’ll come."
"Fine. Go ahead. I’ll just buy her ticket and if she comes she comes and if she doesn’t, oh well."
"I’m sure she’ll come."
"I think we should follow whatever you planned and go on out there." He slid the papers back to her. "Sounds like you have everything set up. Remember when we used to make plans to take a trip together, me, you and Nadine? I’m sure when I ask her to come with us she’ll jump at the chance. It would be fantastic."
"I dunno, but it would be great. Nadine hasn’t really been talking to me lately. Recently I got her to text me, but I think that was only because my number was new and she didn’t know the number."
"I’ll talk her into it."
******
Debney leaned over the armrest of the seat and across Gianté to look out of the window. She noticed the sudden indrawn breath from Gianté as her breast rubbed his arm, but she couldn’t stop herself from continuing to look out. The view from the small pane of glass was astoundingly beautiful. Sitting back, she rested her hands in her lap.
"The plane will land at 10 am. I made arrangements to have us picked up and then brought to the villa. I’m really tired so I thought we would rest a bit and then start the search. Are you as excited as I am? About the trip I mean." She laughed softly. "I was so nervous when I drove around the block from the house to pick you up. And then to have Nadine with you--" She turned to look at the sleeping girl sitting in the seat behind them. "How did you get her to come? What the hell did her mom say?"
"Everything was so simple. Her mom thinks she is away on a camping trip with the Osana family. Nadine gave me her bag and I put it in the trunk of your car last night when I put mine in."
"You didn’t tell Nadine about--" She tapped her stomach. "You know?"
Gianté looked over his shoulder. Nadine was still asleep.
"Of course I didn’t," he whispered. "I just told her about the boys and how we were going to search for them. You know Deenie’s always ready for an adventure and once she knew what we were going to do, I couldn't talk her out of wanting to come along. We just better not overstay the arrangements. I don't know how long my mom will believe the lie I told her. If we don’t get back in time for school, this will be the last time her mom lets her hang out with us. Hell, it will be the last time I will be able to just walk freely to your house. My mom will probably tie me to the porch."
"I know. I promise to not take more than ten days. We'll go back whether we find them or not. I’ve hired a translator and a driver. We'll tour the neighborhood....village or whatever they call it over here. Hopefully someone remembers something. There can’t have been too many accidents in the last two months which killed an American couple on a mountain." Debney leaned back in the seat and closed her eyes. "Did I tell you I was going through my old phone to delete some of the messages from those ignorant--?"
"Why torture yourself listening to that mess?" he interrupted. "I thought you had the phone turned off."
"No, I couldn't make myself do it. I just keep hoping I get a call from my dad. Stupid ,I know, but I keep hoping everybody made a mistake and he's alive with my brothers and they will call me. When I was skimming through I heard a couple of missed messages from someone out of the country, well ,actually, I didn’t hear much because the call was cut off. It just made me wonder if one of the boys tried to call me. What if they were hurt somewhere and I was the last call they could make? I'll never forgive myself for ignoring phone calls."
Wiggling and slouching into a more comfortable position in her seat, she shook her head in regret. "Shit, I don’t know where my mind was."
"Don't be so hard on yourself. I can’t imagine how I would have acted."
"I still don’t know how I’m reacting. I'm just flying on adrenalin and instinct and my instinct refuses to give up." She yawned expressively. "Just wish I wasn't always so sleepy."
Gianté laughed.
"You should read your collection of books." He held up one that had been tucked in her bag. "I was bored and you were asleep. I had to do something."
"Right, well, you continue studying and I'll nap."
As soon as they climbed into the car, Debney leaned into the corner of the seat; pressed head against the window and closed her eyes.
"I'm sorry you guys, but I'm going to have to shut down. I'm so sleepy I can't keep my eyes open."
"That's okay, Ms. Armstrong. You rest and I'll drive." Augusto, the hired driver, climbed into the car after stowing the bags and responded to the last bit of her words.
"Oh, I will." Within minutes she was asleep and waking for nothing until they were parked outside the door of the villa.
********
Gianté sat on the edge of the bed in Debney's room peering through items hanging from her bag.
Yanking the brightly-colored lace bra hanging by its strap from the tip of his finger, she hurriedly rolled it into a tight ball with the rest of the lingerie in her hand and finished unpacking.
"Did you come in here just to go through my things?"
"No, I came to tell you something I heard. Looks like your mom made an impression around here. And it wasn't a good one."
"Why do you say that?"
"I had a good conversation with the driver. His entire family works at the villa. Well, his sister is the maid and it seems she made a mistake doing something or other and it pissed your mom off and she slapped her. And that was only in the first hour they were here. From what I heard, your mom was a real bitch to everyone."
"It sounds as if she was just being herself to me, nothing unusual. She always treated the people she hired as if they were a step below brainless."
"Girl, you'll never guess--" Nadine burst into the room but slowed at the site of Gianté. "Is this another sleep over or can anyone join in? That's not what I mean."
 The couple looked at each other and back at Nadine before bursting into laughter.
"What’s so funny?" Nadine looked from one to the other irritably. "I hate it when you guys do that. You always act as if you can read each other’s minds."
"It’s because we can and no, you can’t join in because there will be no more sleepovers."
Debney shut the drawers to the dresser and pushed her bag in the closet.
 "Let’s go find someone to interrogate. I don’t want to waste a moment we have."
For the next nine days they scoured every avenue and followed every small hint, garnered in the hope of finding a tiny bit of information about her brothers. On the last day of their stay, they visited the castles of Lunigiana. Debney stood looking at the view of the enchanted ruins, wondering if her brothers had gotten a chance to see it. They would have been dumbfounded.
"I’m sorry we're leaving tomorrow and didn’t find out anything." Nadine linked arms with Debney, successfully pulling her from the brink of sadness which she was doing her best not to surrender.
"I know. I had the stupid fantasy of flying out here and having a family movie, happy ending to a nightmare. I wanted to believe I was dreaming and none of this is really happening. How could a place so beautiful, a place I have dreamed of visiting, be a place that will forever haunt me with terror and regret?"
"I know." Nadine led her back down the path to where Gianté stood. He linked with Debney's other arm and they continued on.
"Don't give up hope, Debney. You heard what the Italian police detective said. They’re still trying to find who sent an emergency call from the road near the accident. So many people buy a European cell phone when they come out here, it’s hard to trace calls. I’m sure your parents gave your brothers a phone. I’m just hoping it might have been them. No one is giving up yet. The police are still getting and checking leads. You have to have faith. There's an old Chinese proverb--"
"Stop." both girls laughingly shouted at once.
"Don’t go all mythical on us, Gianté." Nadine swung across Debney to try and hit him.
"Yeah, you were born in Texas, adopted and reared by American parents. You know nothing about Asian culture. Just because you have beautiful, slant eyes doesn’t make you mythical."
"No but being a full-blooded Asian does. Basically, what I was going to say was have faith. Faith can make dreams come true."
"Well, I don't dream anymore."

D.N.A.is available for download on Kindle, Smashwords , Sony or Kobo, Nook and iTunes. and ready for (whatever model) your e-Reader to eat them up.

0 comments:

deep love


In the spirit of Juno by Diablo Cody-


D.N.A. is the story of a teen surviving through the

questionable death of her highly dysfunctional family,

bullying from peers,and an unplanned pregnancy.


D.N.A. pulls no punches at being

an NA drama filled with

angst, heartbreak, suspense and deep

love.

My Life on the Brink

D.N.A. is a truly poignant story that will have you shedding a tear and cheering for joy. DJ Weaver | 2 reviewers made a similar statement
This book is intended for Young Adults but it is a great read for anyone. Debra Johnson | 3 reviewers made a similar statement
Full of extraordinary events, DNA will keep you turning pages until the very end. Carolyn Chambers Clark | 2 reviewers made a similar statement

Change Font (Tahoma 10 ~ok)

Get Your Print Copy

Get Your Print Copy
Print Copy

Grab Pins

Grab Pins
Word to word.

Request Review Copy


FREE: If you’d like to request a review copy of a book, please contact Ey Wade imtheauthor@gmail.com

Please put 'request for review copy' in subject line.

We love working with bloggers and other reviewers!

You can see all of our new books (including previews) through the links on our Web site,

Wade-In Publishing.com. You can also grab pins @itsmeeywade on Pinterest.com


a review from ARC

In the wake of adversity Debney is put through the wringer, something that at her age should never happen.

But in this case it did and author Ey Wade did an excellent job with the plot and the emotional aspect.

I mentioned a dysfunctional family earlier, but the nice thing about this story is you don't realize the severity until the story unfolds. From every corner of her life Debney is challenged, and to see how she handles it...well you need to pick up this novel and if you know a teenager, place one in their hands for required reading.

Ms. Wade rolls out this story beautifully with impeccable timing. I was so engrossed and totally shocked at Debney's mother...the real reason I believe this book is called D.N.A.
A highly recommended read!


Locksie

ARC Book Club Inc.

Book Trailers

Book Trailers
See a Varitey of The Videos

Wade-In Publishing

Wade-In Publishing
Author's web Page

Followers

Follow by Email


x

Get Our Latest Posts Via Email - It's Free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner